21 September 2008

A Fairly Normal Week . . .

After a year or so of Michael faithfully writing the weekly blog, Delynn is taking a turn. Here goes. . .

So after church last Sunday, we walked down to Alt Weil (old Weil) where the annual StrassenFest is held. This is a street festival where the main attraction is food. It also marks the beginning of the 'Fest' season - which means that somewere in the area will be a festival every weekend between now and the end of the year. Along with the food are a few craft stalls. The picture below is of a craftsperson making straw shoes/slippers. We remembered this person from last year. I wonder how comfortable the slippers really are - and how well they hold up. When we were at the Open Air Museum (see the previous blog post), we read about the traditional Black Forest straw weaving. Apparently, it is alive and well and the tradition continues!
The week continued as normal - going to school and working with the students. Chapel is held each Friday and the teachers take turns leading it. There are 2 chapels - one for Kindergarten through 2nd grade and one for the 3rd to 6th grades. It was Michael's turn to lead Chapel for the younger children. One of the songs was 'Jesus loves the little children' and here are the students holding up the 'Red and Yellow, Black and White' papers when the words were sung in the chorus.

After work on Friday, I stopped at the store to pick up items for Nachos. I gathered up the meat, cheese, jalepenos, chips, etc., went to the register and checked out. As I went to my wallet, I realized I only had about 1/2 the amount of money needed to pay for the groceries. Being utterly surprised, I said "Meine mann hat meine geld", meaning "My husband has my money". Now this wasn't to blame Michael - it was just a statement of shock because I didn't have enough to pay for the groceries and if I didn't have the money, Michael must (along with the shock of being able to conjour up a complete sentence in German!). Of course the next thought was, "How do I say take some items back until I can pay for them?" This sentence did not come so easily and by then several more people were in line. Well, somehow the clerk understood and I paid for the items I had money for and went home wondering where my money was. About 1/2 hour later, Michael came home and when I replayed the scene, he said, "The money is in your coat pocket." And sure enough it was because a few days before when we went to the store together, Michael gave me the change and I put it in my coat pocket but neglected to put it in my wallet. Of course, I told Michael I couldn't show my face in that store for a week or so! Thankfully, we do most of our shopping at a different store. I don't think that has ever happened to me - in any country! At least I was able to laugh at myself. And actually, I went back to that store the next day, but I made sure not to go to the same cashier.

There's a first time for everything. Have a wonderful week and be sure you have enough geld with you to buy your groceries.

3 comments:

Imagine said...

ha ha ... that has happened to me at Lildl - They let me leave the trolley full in the shop while I came home to get the money then return and try again!! I know how it feels

Jon

Anonymous said...

That's funny, you don't look German.How do you say bail money in german. Do we need to send anything to free you. We made a great discovery- -we have two exceptional bloggers in the family.
we love you and pray for you everyday. Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

I think you should have cried--I bet someone would have paid for the groceries! :)