06 April 2008

More Easter break pictures

I promised some more pictures from the trip we recently took over the Easter holiday break when Delynn's sisters were here for a visit. As you will be able to tell from just about every picture, it was rather cool (some would say cold) for the first days of spring. We heard from friends back in the states that it snowed there also. Overall, the weather here has been quite mixed. I was able to sit out on the balcony and enjoy a book in the sun last week - tomorrow morning we might have some snow showers. Oh well, the tram ride into church this morning was beautiful and sunny, so we just take it as we get it.



For those of you that don't know (probably only one or two of you), the house across that lake is the one used as the back of the Von Trapp home in the Sound of Music. The lake is the one on which the boat overturned, sending all of the children and Maria into the water. A house at an entirely different location was used for the front shots.

I don't think we will go swimming just today.



Surprisingly, I have finally found something new that is less expensive here than in the States. I went to the doctors office last December when I came down with sinusitis (one of my many maladies during the last fall-winter...). The doctor's practice is in the same building in which we live, so it was very convenient. I dropped by to make an appointment and they were able to fit me in the same day. I just came home and they gave me a call about 30 minutes later to come back up a flight of stairs to see the doctor. He speaks very good English and did a quick diagnosis and prescribed an antibiotic. I went back to see the doctor again in February to get a prescription refilled. We just received the bill this week covering both doctor visits (so much for German efficiency). I guess they aren't used to people having private insurance. Anyway, the cost of both visits was €32 (about $50). That was not the co-pay, that was the full cost of TWO visits. I couldn't believe it - it seems rather surreal when I think that in the states they charge the insurance company 100's of $$ for each visit. Amazing...


Not long ago, I posted a picture of Delynn, Deanne and myself enjoying a wurst at the market in Freiburg. Here is another, more traditional picture of the sisters at the Freiburger Münster - actually, Deanne and Denise look surprisingly well considering this was their first full day in country.




While we visited the town of Oberammergau, just after parking the car, we found a local church down the road. From the outside, it looked like a normal church, nothing really special but it did have a very beautifully cared for Friedhof (cemetary). We walked through the cemetary and took some pictures (the image of the cross and Alps a couple of entries ago was taken there). As we finished with the cemetary, we were walking back to the street when we decided, rather on a whim, to go ahead and take a peek inside - to think, we almost bypassed this incredible sight! The picture below really doesn't do the church justice - our jaws literally dropped with we first glimpsed this glorious interior.






Guess where we stayed in Salzburg? The Hotel Goldene Krone (Golden Crown) is located on a pedestrian area in the "new" city (dates back to the 14th century...). Deanne and Denise had the room next to ours. There are actually two sets of windows each sister is leaning through - separated by a wide sill (about 10 inches deep). The double windows did a great job of keeping out the cold and we could use the space between the windows as an ad hoc refrigerator. Our water, juice and fruit stayed pleasently cool all day (they don't have in-room fridges). We thought ourselves quite clever.




This last picture is one I rather like of Neuschwanstein. I believe this was taken from the terrace at Hohenschwangau. It is a rather moody, mysterious image don't you think?


Thanks for reading. Blessings to all who visit and enjoy our blog. We are excited to share our life with you. Thank you for your prayers.

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

The last image is very moody and mysterious. Props on capturing it. It makes me think of a good mystery or tragedy.

The Mongers said...

I just love reading your blog. I do hope you will consider using these entries to write a book based on your great adventure. Your prose is very engaging, Michael.
It's nice to hear your doctors visit was affordable. I had my thyroid removed in January, spent less that 24 hours in the hospital and it was $19,000.00!
Keep the entries coming! I look forward to each new update and think of you both often.
Love, Donna

Anonymous said...

Wow. Those are beautiful pictures!
~Luke

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures and sure reminds us of our trip to those same places when we came to visit you many years ago.

Love from Mom & Dad