09 March 2008

Well, wouldn't you know.

It seems like we are having some slight server problems uploading pictures, so that means you won't be able to see what we saw this week. Sheep? No, that was last week. Students dilligently studying? No, we see that every week. Snow? Yes. That's it. We had snow flurries earlier in the week. We got a few centimeters, which drives the kids crazy with excitement. The snow layered the city and surrounding area with that beautiful layer of white that makes one think that all is right with the world. I reflected to Delynn as we walked to school that if the same percipitation was coming down as rain, we would just trudge along and wish for sun. However, when it comes down as big fluffy flakes, gently floating to earth, we say: "Isn't this nice, ahhhhh" Now, I'm sure for all of our friends that are getting TONS of snow this winter, it is not quite the same reaction, but this is the first significant bit of snow we have seen since we have lived here.

Guess what else you don't get to see? Pictures from our Life Group retreat in Switzerland. Well, I will get something posted as soon as I can. We traveled up to a retreat center run by the Child Evangelism Fellowship in the hills outside of Basel. It is interesting because these "hills" might be considered mountains depending on your perspective... It was a quick overnight retreat with 13 members of our Bible study group, but it was very peaceful, restful and spiritually fulfilling. This is the same place to which the whole church will be holding a retreat in May. It will probably be very different then (i.e. no snow...). So, the weekend has gone very quickly. We had another wonderful worship this morning - the music seemed to go just right and that does so much to enhance the worship experience.

Oh, did I mention that March is reading month at the school? The students are keeping track of all the pages they read, both for school and for pleasure. The goal for our school is 50,000 pages! That averages out to over 1,000 pages for each student. And do you know what the prize is for reaching the goal? The librarian will shave off all his hair. OH WAIT! I'M THE LIBRARIAN! Rats! I should have thought this through before suggesting it at that staff meeting... Of course, the upper elementary grades are quite keen on seeing Mr. Walz sans hair, but it is a very aggressive goal, so I may get to keep my curly locks yet. I'm sure that if the kids win the challenge that lots of pictures of me losing what precious little hair I have left will be making it onto the blog.

Well, I just tried uploading again and no joy. You will just have to imagine the wintery, snowy, spirtually wonderful weekend. Hopefully, I can get the pictures posted tomorrow.

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

The Mongers said...

While I would love to see the snow pictures...you had better not try this "trouble uploading" story when it comes to photos with your shaved head!!! Never underestimate the power of seeing an authority figure going "Kojac" to really stimulate kids! Can I add my pages to the total?
Much love, Donna

Anonymous said...

Guess what! I am a librarian now too! I have to say that Library day is one of my favorite! Let's hear it for read alouds!

Jeanine